Factfile: Jamaal Lascelles
Written by Newcastle Utd
Everything you need to know about Newcastle United's new signing Jamaal Lascelles
Everything you need to know about Newcastle United's new signing Jamaal Lascelles:
- Despite being born in Derby, Lascelles has spent his career to date with Midlands rivals Nottingham Forest, where he made his first-team debut in January 2012.
- Since then, the 20-year-old has gone on to establish himself as one of the most highly-rated young defenders outside of the top flight.
- After fleeting appearances in the 2011/12 and 2012/13 Championship seasons, 2013/14 was Lascelles' breakthrough campaign as he made 27 league appearances for the two-time European Cup winners, scoring twice.
- Lascelles spent a short spell on loan at then-League One side Stevenage towards the end of the 2011/12 season, making nine appearances and scoring once in a two-month long stint at Broadhall Way.
- At 6feet 2ins tall, Lascelles was a commanding presence in the Forest backline and has represented England at three tiers of youth level - Under-18, Under-19 and Under-20.
- Lascelles was part of England's squad for the 2013 Under-20 World Cup, and was called up to Gareth Southgate's Under-21 squad in March this year, though he is yet to be capped at that level.
- Sporting excellence runs in the defender's family - his father, Tim, coached the national basketball team at under-18 level and Lascelles' brother, Rema, has represented Great Britain at the sport.