Factfile: Jamaal Lascelles
Written by Newcastle Utd
Newcastle United FC
Everything you need to know about Newcastle United's new signing Jamaal Lascelles
Everything you need to know about Newcastle United's new signing Jamaal Lascelles:
- Despite being born in Derby, Lascelles has spent his career to date with Midlands rivals Nottingham Forest, where he made his first-team debut in January 2012.
- Since then, the 20-year-old has gone on to establish himself as one of the most highly-rated young defenders outside of the top flight.
- After fleeting appearances in the 2011/12 and 2012/13 Championship seasons, 2013/14 was Lascelles' breakthrough campaign as he made 27 league appearances for the two-time European Cup winners, scoring twice.
- Lascelles spent a short spell on loan at then-League One side Stevenage towards the end of the 2011/12 season, making nine appearances and scoring once in a two-month long stint at Broadhall Way.
- At 6feet 2ins tall, Lascelles was a commanding presence in the Forest backline and has represented England at three tiers of youth level - Under-18, Under-19 and Under-20.
- Lascelles was part of England's squad for the 2013 Under-20 World Cup, and was called up to Gareth Southgate's Under-21 squad in March this year, though he is yet to be capped at that level.
- Sporting excellence runs in the defender's family - his father, Tim, coached the national basketball team at under-18 level and Lascelles' brother, Rema, has represented Great Britain at the sport.