Factfile: Henri Saivet
Written by Newcastle Utd
Everything you need to know about Newcastle United's new signing, midfielder Henri Saivet
Everything you need to know about Newcastle United's new signing Henri Saivet
- Saivet was born in Dakar, the capital city of Senegal, on 26th October, 1990.
- He joined the Academy at Bordeaux at the age of 11 and quickly rose through the ranks at the French club.
- Saivet became the youngest professional in Bordeaux's history when he signed his first professional deal in 2007.
- On the final day of the 2007/08 campaign he made his first team debut, stepping off the substitutes' bench for the final 12 minutes of Bordeaux's 2-2 draw at Lens.
- Saivet had to be patient for game time in the seasons that followed, making a handful of appearances, but enjoyed a successful loan spell at Ligue 2 side Angers in the second half of the 2010/11 season.
- Returning to Bordeaux, he began to make an impact on the first team squad and was a key part of their Coupe de France triumph in 2013.
- Saivet went on to become a key player for Bordeaux and made a total of 178 appearances in all competitions, scoring 23 goals.
- Originally a forward or winger, Saivet was converted into a holding central midfielder in recent years and flourished, taking on the captain's armband at Bordeaux.
- Saivet represented France at under-16, under-17, under-18 and under-21 level, but switched allegiances to his homeland in 2013, and has won nine senior caps for Senegal to date.