Factfile: Florian Thauvin
Written by Newcastle Utd
Everything you need to know about Newcastle United's new number 20, Florian Thauvin
Everything you need to know about Newcastle United's new signing Florian Thauvin
- Thauvin was born in the French city of Orleans on 26th January, 1993.
- The winger played for youth teams at Ingre, Saint-Jean-de-la-Ruelle, Orleans and Grenoble before rising through the ranks at the latter and making his professional debut in March 2011.
- Grenoble were liquidated in the summer of 2011, and Thauvin duly departed to Bastia where, aged just 19, he helped them lift the Lique 2 title..
- After some eye-catching performances for Bastia, he switched to Lille in January 2013 but returned to his former club on loan until the end of that campaign.
- Thauvin failed to make a single appearance for Lille and in September 2013 signed for Marseille, where he quickly became a key player.
- He made 81 appearances in all competitions over two seasons with the French giants, scoring 15 goals in the process.
- Thauvian is yet to make an appearance for France's senior international side, but has reprsented Les Bleus at under-18, under-19, under-20 and under-21 level.
- He helped France win the 2013 FIFA Under-20 World Cup, scoring in a quarter-final win over Uzbekistan and a brace against Ghana in the semi-finals.