Cabaye: 'If They Are Still Mad, I'm Sorry'
Written by Newcastle Utd
Newcastle United FC
In an exclusive interview, Yohan Cabaye reveals all about the transfer window and his future at Newcastle
By Anthony Marshall - Newcastle United Managing Editor
Yohan Cabaye has apologised to Newcastle fans following reports of a move away from Tyneside, insisting he is fully committed to the Magpies' cause.
After being the subject of an unsuccessful bid from Arsenal during the transfer window, Cabaye was not involved in United's first three games of the new season - against Manchester City, West Ham and Morecambe.
However, he returned to the bench as Fulham came to Tyneside late last month and was back in the starting line-up for the first time on Saturday, inspiring the Magpies to a 2-1 victory at Aston Villa.
Substituted two minutes from time at Villa Park, Cabaye received a fantastic ovation from the travelling supporters and, speaking exclusively to nufc.co.uk, the French midfielder could not hide his delight at returning to the fold.
"It was very, very good to be back in the team; a really nice feeling," he revealed.
"The most important thing for me is to be on the pitch and to play. I want to do my best for the Club, for the team, for everyone and, of course, I want to win every game we play.
"(The ovation) was very nice to hear. If the fans were - or still are - mad at me for what happened then I understand and I apologise to them.
"I want to come back from what has happened.
"For Newcastle fans, football is their life and I want to say that I am going to give everything - as I have from my first day here - from today until the end of the season."
When asked how he was feeling after a tough few weeks for both him and the Club, Cabaye replied: "I'm okay. This is football.
"In your career you do not have a career without bad moments.
"I have moved on and now in my head I just want to work really hard, to get back in the team every week and to help the team - that is the most important thing for me.
"I want to forget what happened during the summer, I want to put it behind me and give everything for Newcastle every day, for the Club and for my teammates."
With a World Cup on the horizon, the French international knows he needs to be playing regularly - and playing well - if he wants to be in with a chance of representing Les Bleus in Brazil.
And when quizzed if he could achieve his dreams as a Newcastle player, Cabaye's response was immediate.
"Yes, why not?" he said.
"I went to the European Championships playing for Newcastle so yes, I am confident that if I am on the pitch and playing well in the Premier League then I have a good chance of going to the World Cup.
"It is a good thing to be here (at Newcastle) in the World Cup year, if we (France) qualify."
Since a heavy opening day defeat at Manchester City, United have gone four games unbeaten in all competitions, only conceding once in that time.
Encouraging performances have given hope that last season's Premier League struggles are consigned to history and that a brighter campaign is in store.
Whether Cabaye would be a part of that has been up for debate, and following the closure of the transfer window, the question on everyone's lips has been whether he is happy to still be pulling on the back and white stripes.
But the former Lille man quickly put that one to bed.
"Yes, of course," he said. "I was happy and I am still happy.
"I just want to try and score goals and play well.
"It is important I do that because Newcastle is my club and there is a World Cup at the end of the season, which I want to play in.
"It is very important to be right in my head and I am."