icon_corner icon_start_stop enlarge2 icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red enlarge2 icon_save icon_start_stop icon_card_yellow attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon messenger icon pinterest icon play icon plus-thin icon plus icon search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon icon_sub tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

High Contrast is on. Turn off You can turn high contrast on again via the link in the footer to our accessibilty page


Morpeth Town vs Newcastle United Under 23s at Stadion.Core.ViewModels.Matchday.LocationViewModel

Morpeth Town


Newcastle United Under 23s

5th March 2019 7:30 PM 5th March 2019 7:30 PM

Craik Park

Northumberland Senior Cup

5th March 2019 7:30 PM

Morpeth Town 2 Newcastle United U23 0


Newcastle's second string were knocked out at the semi-final stage of the Northumberland Senior Cup, following 2-0 defeat to ten-men Morpeth Town on Tuesday.

Liam Henderson's second-half header saw United fall behind and a penalty from Joe Walton extended the home side's lead before they were reduced to ten men, with Morpeth's Sean Taylor receiving a straight red card for a dangerous tackle on Matthew Longstaff.

Nevertheless, the hosts held on for the victory, ending United's hope of retaining the trophy they had lifted at St. James' Park last year.

Last season, United inflicted a 3-1 defeat on their semi-final opponents but it was the home side who pressured the young Magpies in the first half with a series of clear cut chances in front of 1,456 spectators, including Jonjo Shelvey, Paul Dummett and Sean Longstaff.

Morpeth's Michael Turner created the first opportunity at goal, as the defender headed over the crossbar after rising high from a dangerous corner.

Yannick Touré was unable to give United the lead after racing onto a through ball before rounding goalkeeper Dan Lowson with a heavy touch, allowing Stephen Forster to avert the danger.

Nathan Harker was forced into keeping United level, producing a strong save from Walton after the forward was granted time and space in the penalty area before angling his attempt towards the far corner.

The Newcastle shot stopper was alert once again on the stroke of half-time to expertly push away David Carson's flying effort, after the former Blackburn man raced through before cutting onto his right foot.

However, United fell behind a minute into the second half with Henderson connecting with Walton's inviting cross from the left wing and directing his header into the far corner.

Morpeth grabbed their second 12 minutes later as Carson was bundled over inside the box by Harker, beating the goalkeeper to the ball and leaving the referee with no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Harker - who saved a last minute penalty at Reading in February - was unable to repeat his heroics to atone for his foul, as Walton sent the ball past the 20-year-old to double Morpeth's advantage.

United were given a brief lifeline towards the latter stages as Taylor was sent off following a late high challenge on Longstaff which sparked anger from his Newcastle team mates.

But despite the extra man, Newcastle were unable to register a shot on target on a difficult night at Craik Park, with United captain Owen Bailey glancing a header past the Morpeth post from Juanito's teasing set piece.

Newcastle United Under-23s: Nathan Harker, Ryan Barrett (Mo Sangare 46), Oliver Walters, Kelland Watts, Owen Bailey (c), Lewis Cass, Tom Allan, Jack Young, Yannick Touré (Tyrique Bartlett 68), Matthew Longstaff, Rosaire Longelo (Juanito 63).

Subs not used: Oisin McEntee, Otto Huuhtanen.

Breaking News

Dismiss Close