icon_corner icon_start_stop enlarge2 icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red enlarge2 icon_save icon_start_stop icon_card_yellow attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon messenger icon pinterest icon play icon plus-thin icon plus icon search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon icon_sub tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

High Contrast is on. Turn off You can turn high contrast on again via the link in the footer to our accessibilty page


Swansea City Under 23s vs Newcastle United Under 23s at Lindore Training Ground

Swansea City Under 23s


Newcastle United Under 23s

12th February 2018 1:00 PM 12th February 2018 1:00 PM

Lindore Training Ground

Premier League Cup

12th February 2018 1:00 PM

Swansea City U23s 1 Newcastle United U23s 1

NUFC Logo Newcastle United FC


Owen Bailey’s late leveller earned Newcastle United a vital Premier League Cup point as they drew 1-1 at Swansea City on Monday afternoon.

Botti Biabi had put the hosts in front at their Landore training centre, but Bailey’s 86th-minute header earned United a share of the spoils.

The result kept the visitors ahead of Burnley at the top of Group G and made sure of their qualification for the knockout stages, with just one final group game – against Colchester United – to play.

The game’s first opportunity fell to Luke Charman, who went through on goal but found Swans goalkeeper Steven Benda in his way, turning the young forward’s effort past the post.

The hosts, with the powerful Biabi up front and Daniel James and George Byers providing ammunition from the wings, offered a sporadic threat themselves in a half of few chances, and Magpies keeper Brendan Pearson had to alert to hold on to Connor Roberts’ effort just before the break.

After the restart, Charman had another shot deflected wide, but 12 minutes into the second period the Swans – who lifted the Premier League Cup last term – seized the advantage. Byers threaded a pass through to Kenji Gorre, whose centre allowed Biabi to slot home the opener.

With just over ten minutes remaining, Bailey’s timely interception prevented Gorre having a chance to snatch a second, and the centre back then popped up at the other end four minutes from time to snatch the leveller. Bailey rose to head home from a corner and hand United an equaliser and a crucial point to show from their trip to south Wales.

The Swans did have a couple of late chances to snatch the win late on, but Liam Cullen fired wide and then substitute goalkeeper Otto Huuhtanen, who replaced Pearson, saved well from Courtney Baker-Richardson to keep the score at 1-1.

Breaking News

Dismiss Close