• Man United 2 Newcastle 1
  • Man United v Newcastle: Key Moments
  • Man Utd v Newcastle: Nine Cup Changes
  • Carver: 'We're Going There To Win'
  • Shearer's Screening Cup Clash
  • Match Preview: Man United v Newcastle
  • Willo's More Than Willing
  • Anthony's Tayl Of Old Trafford
  • nufcTV: Pre-Man Utd Press Conference
  • Pic Special: Cup Comeback For Colo?

Man United 2 Newcastle 1

By Anthony Marshall - Newcastle United Club Reporter

At Old Trafford



Manchester United 2 (Anderson 44, Cleverley 58)

Newcastle United 1 (Cisse 62)



Newcastle United bowed out of the Capital One Cup with a third round 2-1 defeat away at Manchester United on Wednesday night.


But the Red Devils were made to fight all the way for their victory, against a Magpies side who struck the woodwork and carved out a handful of good goalscoring opportunities at Old Trafford.


Anderson and Tom Cleverley, either side of half-time, put the hosts into a seemingly comfortable lead, but substitute Papiss Cisse halved the deficit within a minute of his introduction - his first goal of the season.


The Senegalese international also planted an overhead kick against the crossbar with time running out, but it wasn't to be for Newcastle, whose focus now turns to Reading in the Premier League on Saturday.


The hosts made a bright start and within the opening four minutes left-back Alex Buttner had sent a long-range half-volley over the top before Javier Hernandez glanced a header wide from Marnick Vermijl's cross.


But Newcastle quickly got a grip on proceedings and could have broken the deadlock in the 14th minute. The visitors looked threatening whenever the ball was sent into the box, and this particular delivery came courtesy of Haris Vuckic.


The deep cross was headed back across goal by Shola Ameobi to the unmarked Dan Gosling, who could only screw his volley over the top from 12 yards.


Manchester United hit back and only a superb stop from Rob Elliot kept the scores level, as the keeper clawed away Anderson's strike after driving forward and playing a one-two with Cleverley.


Shola Ameobi was next to try his luck, on 22 minutes, turning and firing over from outside the box, having received an inch-perfect Gabriel Obertan lofted ball into his feet.


And three minutes later James Tavernier went even closer, rampaging forward from his left-back berth, cutting inside onto his natural right foot and drilling a low strike narrowly wide of the upright.


It was end-to-end stuff and Elliot was again called upon to make an important stop, this time beating behind Welbeck's effort after the front man skipped past the challenge of Mike Williamson and let fly from the edge of the area.


Elliot was beaten in the 35th minute, however, as Cleverley finished off a flowing Red Devils move by slotting the ball past the goalkeeper. But somehow - thankfully for the visitors - the former Watford star put the ball the wrong side of the post when it looked to be a simple finish.


The home side were to make no mistake though a minute before half-time, as they finally took the lead.


When Anderson received the ball from Darren Fletcher in the middle of the park there seemed little on, but the Brazilian international wormed his way past a couple of Newcastle challenges and sent an impressive strike past Elliot from 25 yards, which found the back of the net via the inside of the upright.


The second half started in the same vein as the first, with both sides fashioning decent goalscoring opportunities.


Anderson tried to make lightning strike twice but placed a shot well over the top, while at the other end Williamson hooked just off target and Shola Ameobi sent a low drive straight at David de Gea.


Vuckic was inches away from levelling things up on 54 minutes. Receiving the ball with his back to goal just inside the area, the Slovenian international used his strength to hold off Michael Keane, swivel one way, then the other and curl a shot agonisingly wide with de Gea at full stretch.


And the Magpies were made to pay as Manchester United promptly went back up to the Stretford End and doubled their advantage through Cleverley.


The England international was fed by Welbeck on the edge of the box and, having taken a touch, he provided a classy, curled finish past the helpless Elliot.


Newcastle boss Alan Pardew responded with a double substitution, replacing Fabricio Coloccini and Haris Vuckic with Shane Ferguson and Cisse, and the switch paid dividends immediately.


Ferguson got down the left and planted an inch-perfect cross to the far post, where Cisse just had to stoop and head home his first goal of the season.


The home side responded with Hernandez firing against the crossbar, but Gosling wasn't too far away for Newcastle when his speculative long-range effort just missed its target.


And as the Magpies pushed for an equaliser, Cisse almost sent the tie to extra-time in spectacular style, rattling the bar with an overhead kick which had de Gea completely beaten.


Gosling had the final chance of the night, with just three minutes remaining, nudging a close range effort straight into the arms of Manchester United's keeper, after Shola Ameobi had headed down into the six-yard box.


And that was that - despite some heavy late pressure and an impressive, spirited performance, Newcastle's Capital One Cup campaign was ended at the third round stage. 



Manchester United (4-3-3): David de Gea; Marnick Vermijl (Ryan Tunnicliffe 77), Michael Keane, Scott Wooton, Alex Buttner (Robert Brady 86); Darren Fletcher (c), Tom Cleverley, Anderson; Danny Welbeck, Wayne Rooney (Nick Powell 77), Javier Hernandez


Subs not used: Sam Johnstone, Jonny Evams, Jesse Lingard, Joshua King



Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Rob Elliot; James Perch, Mike Williamson, Fabricio Coloccini (c) (Shane Ferguson 61), James Tavernier; Gabriel Obertan, Cheick Tiote (Gael Bigirimana 71), Dan Gosling, Sylvain Marveaux; Haris Vuckic (Papiss Cisse 61); Shola Ameobi


Subs not used: Steve Harper, Vurnon Anita, Romain Amalfitano, Sammy Ameobi



Referee: Anthony Taylor (Manchester)



Bookings: Manchester United - none; Newcastle United - Bigirimana (90)



Attendance: 46,358