Greg Olley

By Dan King - Newcastle United Digital Editor

Newcastle United Under-21s 4 (Quinn 3, Aarons)
West Ham United Under-21s 5 (Lee 3, Tombides, Moncur)

West Ham staged a stunning Barclays Under-21 Premier League comeback to beat Newcastle, who had led 3-0 inside the opening ten minutes thanks to Jonathyn Quinn's hat-trick.

The Magpies striker, who scored in the under-18s' 3-0 win over Sunderland in midweek, made it four Barclays Under-21 Premier League goals for the campaign with his treble at Whitley Park.

But Elliot Lee, son of former Tyneside legend Rob, scored three of his own as the Hammers roared back on an afternoon which saw Ben Drennan, Liam Smith and Callum Roberts make their second-string debuts.

The defeat was particularly harsh on Quinn, whose first goal came after three minutes, when Gael Bigirimana's free-kick crashed back off a post but Romain Amalfitano kept play alive and cut the ball back for Lubo Satka.

His shot was going wide but Quinn turned home from close range, then grabbed a second two minutes later. Bigirimana's lovely ball over the top was hooked over Stephen Henderson by the frontman, who turns 18 later this month.

And he made it three with his best finish of all as he took advantage of some slack defending to lob the goalkeeper from the edge of the box.

But after that blistering start from the black and whites, West Ham regrouped and George Moncur forced Jak Alnwick into a decent save before sidefooting wide as John Carver and Andy Woodman watched on.

In the 37th minute the visitors won a penalty when Kieran Sadlier was fouled by debutant Ben Drennan and Lee sent Alnwick the wrong way before grabbing his second moments later when he forced home from close range.

There was still time for Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu to squander a decent opportunity just before the break and at the beginning of the second period, Sebastien Lletget's shot was well pushed away by Alnwick, then Danny Whitehead fired just over.

But the equaliser came when Dylan Tombides slotted home after Lee's clever pass and then Moncur made it 4-3 to the visitors.

Sadlier dragged a shot wide while Bigirimana saw a free-kick from 45 yards out pushed over the bar by Henderson.

Lee wrapped up the win with his third and West Ham's fifth as Lubo Satka handled in the box and the striker again wrongfooted Alnwick from 12 yards.

Substitute Rolando Aarons, who had already headed narrowly over from Bigirimana's cross, pulled one back in the 89th minute as he made room on the edge of the box and drilled home.

He then cleared well after Alnwick had parried Blair Turgott's powerful effort in stoppage time and in the dying seconds, Quinn sent a header too close to Henderson.

Newcastle United Under-21s: Jak Alnwick, Lubo Satka, Macaulay Gillesphey (Callum Roberts 75), Ben Drennan (Rolando Aarons 46), Remie Streete, Curtis Good, Greg Olley, Gael Bigirimana, Jonathyn Quinn, Romain Amalfitano (Liam Smith 19), Alex Gilliead

Subs not used: Jonathan Mitchell, Lewis Aird

West Ham United Under-21s: Stephen Henderson, Callum Driver, Frazer Shaw, Sebastien Lletget, Jamie Harney, Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu, Danny Whitehead, George Moncur, Elliot Lee, Dylan Tombides, Kieran Sadlier (Blair Turgott 86)

Subs not used: Vit Nemrava, Sean Maguire, Taylor Miles, Kieran Bywater