Jonathyn Quinn

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Newcastle United Under-21s 1 (Logan 60)
Manchester City Under-21s 1 (Lopes pen 81)

Steven Logan scored a stunning first Barclays Under-21 Premier League goal but a late penalty denied Newcastle all three points against Manchester City.

The Cumbrian midfielder lashed home a half-volley on the hour mark but Marcos Lopes' spot-kick earned the visitors a share of the spoils at Whitley Park.

Alan Pardew, John Carver, Steve Stone and Andy Woodman were present just hours after touching back down on Tyneside following the first-team's 0-0 Europa League draw at Anzhi Makhachkala while Gael Bigirimana, Adam Campbell, Jak Alnwick and Kevin Mbabu were also in the crowd.

Fringe players James Tavernier and Romain Amalfitano both played the whole game while Jamaican teenager Rolando Aarons was handed his full second-string bow against a City side which included young striker Devante Cole, son of Andy.

The legendary Magpies number nine was nicknamed 'Goal King Cole' on Tyneside but chances were at a premium in the first 45 minutes. 

On eight minutes, Lopes flashed just wide of Jonathan Mitchell's near post. Then on the 15 minute mark, Denis Suarez cut in from the left but his low shot was well gathered by Mitchell, making only his second under-21 appearance of the season due to Alnwick's involvement with the first-team the previous evening.

Ten minutes before the break, Aarons won a free-kick which Brandon Miele clipped into the box and Curtis Good came within a whisker of connecting with it at full stretch as he steamed in at the far post.

Cole saw a shot on the turn blocked by Remie Streete before the England youth international sent the rebound over the bar.

Then three minutes before the break, Suarez brought another fine save out of Mitchell as the goalkeeper turned his 20 yard strike around the post.

Newcastle started the second half well as substitute Alex Gilliead had a goalbound shot blocked by his team-mate Amalfitano, who then saw an effort of his own beaten away by Ian Lawlor.

Logan's goal came after a neat move which saw Tavernier's cross touched into the midfielder's pass by Amalfitano and smashed beyond the helpless goalkeeper.

Emyr Huws saw Mitchell hold onto a shot before Aarons tried to catch Lawlor out at his near post, but the keeper recovered well to parry.

But the visitors began to pile on the pressure and substitute Seko Fofana first shot just wide and then watched as Lubo Satka thwarted him with a superb block.

Nine minutes from time, Mitchell pushed Fofana's long-range drive onto the post but as Cole went for the rebound, he was tripped by Tavernier and Lopes slotted home from the spot.

Either side could have won it in the closing stages as Jose Pozo La Rosa saw a shot beaten away before Amalfitano's volley was superbly saved by Lawlor but a draw was arguably the right result.

Newcastle United Under-21s: Jonathan Mitchell, Alex Nicholson (Alex Gilliead 46), Curtis Good, Lubo Satka, James Tavernier (c), Remie Streete, Brandon Miele, Steven Logan, Rolando Aarons (Greg Olley 69), Jonathyn Quinn, Romain Amalfitano

Subs not used: Freddie Woodman, Lee Desmond

Manchester City Under-21s: Ian Lawlor, Shay Facey, Greg Leigh, George Evans, Ellis Plummer, Keiran Kennedy, Albert Rusnak (Jose Pozo La Rosa 64), Emyr Huws, Devante Cole, Marcos Lopes, Denis Suarez (Seko Fofana 64)

Subs not used: Mathias Bossaerts, Angus Gunn, Olivier Ntcham