Macaulay Gillesphey

By Paul Reece

Newcastle United Under-18s 0
Middlesbrough Under-18s 4

Jordan Jones netted a hat-trick for visitors Middlesbrough as they triumphed 4-0 in the Tyne-Tees derby at Little Benton this morning.

The young striker opened the scoring from the spot, before doubling the lead just before the break and completing his treble moments after the restart.

Robbie Tinkler then completed the scoring, netting Boro's fourth late in the second half as Newcastle endured a difficult 90 minutes.

Dave Watson's side began the game brightly, forcing two early corners inside the opening minutes, but it was the visitors who dominated the early stages.

The irrepressible Jones forced the first save of the game in second minute, cutting in from the right wing before firing a tame effort at Freddie Woodman.

England youth international Woodman then denied Jones again moments later, this time saving at the near post after the striker burst into the box down the left wing.

Two minutes later and Middlesbrough were ahead, however, after Lee Desmond was ajudged to have tripped Tinkler in the box.

Jones stepped up and sent Woodman the wrong way to put his side ahead with just six minutes on the clock.

Joe Burn and Jimmy Warnett both came close to doubling the visitors advantage before United were forced into an early change as Jonathyn Quinn limped off injured.

Daniel Barlaser replaced the midfielder and minutes later United came close to equalising as Alex Kitchen headed Greg Olley's corner against the bar.

Ben Drennan then forced a save from Joe Fryer, firing through a crowded box from 20 yards out as United enjoyed a good spell of pressure.

Boro remained dangerous at the other end though with Warnett firing just wide while Olley went equally close for United.

The midfielder was then in the right place at the right time to deny Jones his second in the 34th minute - blocking his strike at goal from eight yards out.

Catching Boro on the break, Rolando Aarons forced a good save from Fryer with a low strike from 18 yards out but Newcastle's failure to find an equaliser was punished two minutes before the break as Warnett played the ball to Jones who hit a low first-time effort past Woodman from 20 yards.

Half-time brought a double change from Newcastle, Aarons and Kitchen departing with Andy Hall and Macauley Booth getting on.

Middlesbrough continued their dominance, however, and Jones completed his hat-trick with another clinical finish minutes after the restart.

Priestley Griffiths was then denied by Woodman before Tinkler added the fourth with 15 minutes remaining, finishing at the far post after collecting Ross McNab's left wing cross.

Macaulay Gillesphey almost netted a late consolation but his header was pushed wide by Fryer as Boro held onto a deserved clean sheet.

United will not need to wait long before getting a chance to redeem themselves, however, with the two sides due to meet again on Saturday, 20th April at Middlesbrough's Rockliffe Park training ground.

Newcastle United Under-18s: Freddie Woodman, Jamie Sterry, Lee Desmond, Ben Drennan, Alex Kitchen (Macauley Booth 45), Macaulay Gillesphey, Greg Olley, Jonathyn Quinn (Dan Barlaser 21), Adam Armstrong, Callum Roberts, Rolando Aarons (Andy Hall 45)

Subs not used: Lewis Aird, Brendan Pearson