Dennis Knight

By Paul Reece

Patience and persistence was the key to Newcastle United Under-18s' victory over their West Bromich Albion counterparts.

United enjoyed the better of the first half but after failing to make a breakthrough, fell behind after a defensive error allowed Wesley Atkinson in behind the back four to make it 1-0 to Albion.

United, dominant throughout the second half, levelled in the 65th minute when last season's top scorer for the Magpies at this level Dan Taylor finished a good move.

And Joe Joyce's side's persistence finally paid off in the 89th minute when Dennis Knight dispatched a dramatic penalty to make it two wins from the side's first three league games.

It was Newcastle who looked the most likely to open the scoring with Adam Campbell firing wide before finding Taylor five minutes later, however his shot was dragged wide of the near post.

United were then almost gifted the opening goal after a long ball from defence brought confusion to the Albion back line as goalkeeper Shane Lewis' miscued header put striker JJ Hooper in behind the back four.

The striker, who hit a hat-trick against Chelsea in his last home game, could not find the space and composure, however, to finish as the Albion defence tracked back.

But it was the visitors who broke the deadlock in the 40th minute as defender Louis Storey lost possession allowing full-back Atkinson to break clear before hitting a powerful low drive past United's Alex Baird.

The juniors responded well though and could have went into the break on level terms as Albion's shot-stopper Lewis was forced to tip team-mate Jordan Francis' wayward header over the bar.

Michael Riley then found Michael Hoganson on the left side of the box and his flicked header beat Lewis but hit the near post as United went into the break a goal down.

Hoganso then showed United's intent in the second half as he fired over from 18 yards five minutes after the break before a Knight effort flew through a crowded box only for Niall Wellington to clear off the line.

Remie Streete then saw his header cleared of the line as United dominated the second half and it seemed a case of when United would score, not if.

And the equaliser came in the 65th minute when Campbell and Brandon Miele exchanged passes on the edge of the box before Taylor collected the ball and side-footed past Lewis.

Hooper's header was then saved comfortably from Knight's free kick as United looked set to share the points, only for Knight to be brought down as he burst into the box in the dying the minutes.

Running in from the right wing, the midfielder was caught by Albion goalscorer Atkinson and Knight made no mistake with a powerful spot kick into the bottom right corner.

Joyce's side travel to Manchester City next Saturday for a noon kick-off at Platt Lane Training Complex as they look for their first away win of the season.

Newcastle United Under-18s: Alex Baird, Alex Nicholson, Michael Riley, Remie Streete, Louis Storey, Dan Taylor, Brandon Miele, Dennis Knight, JJ Hooper, Adam Campbell, Michael Hoganson.

Subs not used: Jonathan Mitchell, Jamie Smith, Will Turton, Marcus Maddison, Billy Ions.