Jonathyn Quinn celebrates with Macaulay Gillesphey

By Dan King - Newcastle United Digital Editor

The shine was taken off Jonathyn Quinn's first hat-trick for Newcastle's under-21s as the Magpies threw away a three-goal lead to lose 5-4 to West Ham on Monday.

But the Ashington-born 17-year-old was still rightly proud of his performance in front of John Carver and Andy Woodman and now hopes to follow Adam Armstrong into the senior squad.

Armstrong was named in Alan Pardew's squad for last week's Capital One Cup win over Morecambe and Quinn's treble saw him overtake the England youth international as United's top scorer at all levels this term.

He now has four in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League and also netted in his only under-18s start so far, against Sunderland.

"It's amazing to score my first hat-trick for the under-21s but I can't really enjoy it as much because we didn't win the game, which is really disappointing," Quinn told nufc.co.uk.

"I couldn't believe the chances that I got. They were really simple ones although the third one, where I lobbed the keeper - I'm quite happy with that one. It was on my weaker side as well so I was happy but I can't really enjoy it too much."

At 3-0, Quinn admitted that he thought Newcastle would go on to win the game.

"I think everyone did - and that was the problem because we just went into cruise control," he said.

"We should have kept the pressure on but we thought it was too easy so that was really disappointing."

Former Newcastle midfielder Rob Lee was at Whitley Park to watch his son, Elliot, score a hat-trick of his own and Quinn said: "He did well, to be fair to him, and he'll be able to enjoy his hat-trick a bit more than I can.

"But I'm in good form and hopefully I can keep that going for the under-18s and under-21s and just continue to have a good season.

"I want to get more goals and keep impressing people. You've seen Adam Armstrong get a chance to go on a trip with the first-team so that's a big goal for me."